Managing Director and Co-Head of Advisory, Sydney
Bruce is Managing Director and Co-Head of Gresham's Corporate Advisory business.
Bruce has been a part-time member of the Australian Government Takeovers Panel since 2016. Bruce is a CPA, a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, and a Fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australia.
Bruce has over 35 years’ experience in investment banking. Prior to joining Gresham in 2006, Bruce was a Managing Director and Head of Mergers & Acquisitions at Merrill Lynch Australia (1997-2006), a partner at Centaurus Corporate Finance (1993-1997), and worked at Kleinwort Benson in Sydney and London (1985-1993).
Bruce has provided advice on mergers and acquisitions, and capital raisings (including equity, hybrid and debt) to several of Australia’s leading ASX100 companies including BHP, CSL, Telstra, NAB, ANZ, CBA, Lendlease, Stockland, Crown, Asciano, AMP, David Jones, Foster’s, North, MIM, Ten Network and Fairfax.
A selection of major transactions on which Bruce has advised includes:
- CSL on its $16.4bn takeover of Vifor Pharma, $6.3bn institutional equity placement (Australia’s largest), $750m equity share purchase plan and US$4bn Reg S Market 144A notes;
- Crown on its $10bn takeover defence from Blackstone;
- BHP on its $12bn demerger and ASX, JSE and London listing of South32;
- Telstra on the $2.9bn sale of 49% of Amplitel (its mobile towers business) to Future Fund, Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation and Sunsuper, its US$1.85bn acquisition of Digicel Pacific, its T22 transformation and restructure, its proposals with the National Broadband Network, and on T3;
- Lendlease on numerous transactions such as the $180m sale of its engineering business to Acciona, $310m sale of its infrastructure services business to Service Stream, $1.4bn sale of a 75% interest in its retirement joint venture to Aware Super (50%) and APG (25%), its Barangaroo South and Milano Santa Giulia urban redevelopments, the takeover defence and refinancing of APPF its unlisted wholesale property funds, $300m sale of its aged care business to Archer Capital, and $2.5bn equity capital raisings via three placements and rights issues;
- Asciano on its $12bn takeover defence from the Qube and Brookfield consortiums;
- David Jones on its $2.3bn takeover defence from Woolworths of South Africa; and
- Foster’s on its $12.3bn takeover defence from SABMiller, and its $3bn demerger and ASX listing of Treasury Wine Estates.
Tel: +61 2 9221 5133
Level 17, 167 Macquarie Street Sydney NSW 2000